About Me

My photo
I am 27 years old, a wife, a mom, a sister, a newish home owner, a daughter, and a best friend. I am in the process of becoming a self proclaimed photographer, interior designer, and a chef. I want nothing more than to always remember the most positive and precious things in my life. I am very blessed to have such wonderful memories and my brain is to busy to remember them all. Blogging is my way to share and never forget.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Eggplant Fries

Yes, you read the title right...
EGGPLANT FRIES

I had never had an eggplant before and to be honest, was not sure exactly what they looked like.

I had no idea about the texture, taste, how to peel them, that they had seeds, and so on. Pretty much this was going to be a hit or miss learning experience for me.

I must say, I would make them again. After a few times of tweeking, they may turn out wonderful. They were not bad.. like I said, I'd make them again.. but, they were not the best thing. We ate them though.  




I made some extra crispy and some normal just to see what the difference would be. I like the normal ones (which is weird because I like the semi burnt foods usually) It was weird though biting ito them and not knowing what to expect. Give it a try though.

p.s. the recipe calls for honey on them, I didn't use honey becuase I was not sure what an eggplant tasted like but I added paramsean cheese to mine.

3/4 cup flour
2 tsps garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fresh parsley, minced
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper, fresh ground
oil for frying
3 baby eggplants or 2 medium eggplants
salt for seasoning
honey
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, dried oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper until thoroughly mixed. In a heavy-bottom medium saucepan, heat at least two inches of oil to about 350F. Peel the eggplants and slice into 3/4-inch thick fingers. Toss the eggplant slices a few at a time in the seasoned flour until well coated. When the oil is ready, drop a few sticks of eggplant into the oil – they should begin sizzling immediately. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan or have the oil temperature drop too much. When they begin to brown (about a minute) flip them over and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute. Remove the eggplant fries from the oil and let drain on a cooling rack. Serve hot with a shake of salt and a drizzle of honey. A great snacking appetizer for 4 people

No comments:

Post a Comment